Wednesday, September 3, 2014

180 Blog: Day 7

AP Stats
Still really struggling with the timing of a six-period day. I keep running out of time but we had some good discussion today. I had planned on @druinOK card sort, but instead answered HW questions, did some examples, and talked about bias. Card sort pushed to tomorrow. I am really looking forward to trying out this activity since I think it will lead to students engaging in conversation using statistical terms. Added challenge for tomorrow: we have 40 minute periods due to our kickoff rally.

I rearranged the order of the topics this year as mentioned in previous posts. I still like the order, but there were a few things I just didn't consider. Before beginning JellyBlubbers, we had to spend like 20 minutes on random number tables and random number generators. Last year, my tests and quizzes were AP test level questions, with many questions actually coming from past AP tests. I also graded the FRQs using the four point rubric. I believe this had two effects (controlled, randomized trials were not conducted). The first is that students were well prepared for the level of the AP test. The second is that students' grades probably weren't accurate representations of their knowledge and students were frustrated, and many that could have passed the AP test did not take the test because they were not confident in their knowledge. Last year, our first unit test was about five weeks into the year which meant I had plenty of time to lay the groundwork for the written responses. We have a test planned for next week. I'm really going to have to hit the writing hard.

I tried polleverywhere.com on the warm-up for the first time. I got a much better response rate than with "Who got a? Who got b?" My class is rife with nonresponse bias.

Algebra I/Algebra II
I had students work in groups to write possible test questions for their upcoming tests and quizzes. I don't remember where I came across this idea, but I like it. I don't think the students really know what to make of it. The questions that I get are nothing spectacular, but it does make students look back at their classwork, homework, notes, and textbook. Sometimes they come up with pretty funny ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment