Wednesday, September 10, 2014

180 Blog: Day 12

AP Stats
I stumbled into a great way to give good feedback and cut down on time spent giving feedback! Last week, I assigned the class two FRAPPYs on surveys and sampling (04B.2 and 11.3). Coincidentally, each problem had two parts. Students are seated in groups of four, so I decided to give feedback on one part for each student. Every student received feedback, and, in aggregate, every group got feedback on a full problem. Tomorrow, as part of the review, the students will get together with other students who received feedback on the same part of the problem. They will compare and rewrite their part, and then return to their original group as experts on their part. The goal is to have students rewrite their original work and experience writing a clear, complete, and concise solution. I know this is just repurposing jigsawing but, as any AP Stat teacher will tell you, grading writing and giving good feedback is incredibly difficult and time consuming. I guess putting things off and being lazy really gets my brain juices flowing.

@druinOK is doing Chalk Talk with experimental design tomorrow because of my post yesterday. It is a great feeling and incredibly validating to know that my practice can spark something for another teacher (even though I stole the idea from an article that she posted). I can't wait to read her reflections on the activity. You should too.

What are your feedback hacks?

Algebra II
One of the saddest parts of my day is when I'm done with second or fourth period and I have to erase the board. Today, it was beautiful. One idea flowed to the next. everything was color coded. Clearly, some great teacher talking had just happened. It's sad because I don't like being the only one talking about math in my classroom, yet that's what happens most days. Then, I erase the work and repeat the exact same stuff two periods later, and then again the very next period. I have been entertaining the idea of a flipped classroom for a while and this lesson just might be the impetus that I need to make it happen. With a flip, I would only spend 30 minutes talking and time editing instead of 90 total minutes talking.

Are you flipped? What are your essential tech pieces? What does your daily class look like?

Algebra I
We had a test today. One of my focus students still hasn't turned in any homework yet. He was wearing a Jimi Hendrix shirt today, so while he was taking the test, I wrote a new homework assignment for him. His assignment is to listen to "All Along the Watchtower" and "Like a Rolling Stone" by Bob Dylan and "Like a Rolling Stone" by Jimi Hendrix. Bob Dylan is my absolute favorite and Hendrix is incredible. "Like a Rolling Stone" is my absolute favorite and "Like a Rolling Stone" by Hendrix is incredible. I love how the two versions have entirely different feels. Dylan's is acerbic and cutting, while Hendrix's is heartbreaking and ambivalent. It's amazing to me how the same words can be so distinctive. I am determined to make a connection with this kid, but I need a victory, no matter how small. I hope he does his homework. I'd love to know what he thinks of the songs.

I attended a JMP workshop this summer and learned a lot about the program. Here's one of the things they showed me:


You can find more Residual Sur(Realism) here.

What is your favorite Dylan song?

No comments:

Post a Comment