Thursday, August 28, 2014

180 Blog: Day 4

My principal cracked me up today. He's a pretty frank and dry person so I have no idea if any of this was intentional, but I certainly enjoyed it. He sent out an email trying to organize the bell schedule committee for this year. I asked if it was possible to discuss changing the start time (We start at 7:50) since the American Academy of Pediatrics recently recommended later start times for high school students. (Also, I don't want to keep waking up at 5:45). Here is his reply:
Excellent response.

Later in the day he sent an email about some PD.

Good to know it won't be a problem.

Algebra I &II
We took our first quick quiz today. It's a weekly five question quiz that students are allowed to retake on Mondays after school. I like them. It's a new thing for most students and I hope they take advantage of it.

AP Stats
We did the Frog Census from @druinok. My students couldn't count the g's correctly either. Tomorrow we're doing Jelly Blubbers. I'll try to post the Jelly Blubbers sheets tomorrow. Students liked doing it last year because they got to actually experience the different types of sampling techniques.

One of my Stat students from last year came in after school today. She is a senior and currently taking Pre-Calc. They are working on symmetry of equations and she was having a rough go of it. I showed her Desmos to help her connect the algebraic work to the graphical representation. She definitely left feeling better and said she'll probably see me again tomorrow. The part that I am most proud of is not that I was able to help her (that's my job, after all), but that she trusts me enough to come ask for help even though "I'm not her teacher anymore."

I'm really looking forward to the weekend. I'm enjoying writing about my teaching but it's cutting into my reading about others' great teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment