Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Doing Mathematics Again

I have had an amazing night! I got to engage in Doing Mathematics! Some of my fondest memories  from college are of a group of guys (yes, unfortunately all guys) gathered around a coffee table, white board, or chalk board that is filled with mathematical scratching in a room littered with beer bottles. This is when I came to love mathematics; the active, energetic, disappointing, and exhilarating process of Doing Mathematics.

Doing Mathematics is entirely different from high school mathematics (which I sometimes call mathematish because I am oh, so clever), though with the implementation of the Math Practice Standards, it’s not supposed to be all that different. As I mention above, Doing Mathematics is an active process. Yes, we did a fair amount of sit and get in college lecture halls (I did less of that than most of my classmates. Oops.), but outside of the lecture halls there was discussion, there was argument, there was joy, there was despair, there was surprise. You could run the emotional gamut when working on a mathematical proof just as much as with a great work of literature. There is the trope of the single, solitary genius rigidly following the rules of deduction to a logical conclusion that seems inevitable, but that view is impoverished. For me, mathematics is a social activity made much more enjoyable with others.

I am currently at San Diego State University for a curriculum training to teach AP Computer Science A next year. I am staying in the dorms with many of the other future AP CSA teachers in my cohort.  We were hanging out in the common area of our suite this evening trying to get some program to install and cooperate and one of my colleagues brought out this problem:

I’m thinking of a ten-digit integer whose digits are all distinct. It happens that the number formed by the first n of them is divisible by n for each n from 1 to 10. What is my number?

This problem was created by John Conway as part of a Pi Day promotion with Pizza Hut. I had heard about the promotion, but it didn’t really register with me. Tonight, it took hold. It started with two of my colleagues sitting on the couch discussing the problem and trying out little strategies. It escalated when they said that they needed a whiteboard. I was drawn in. It was such a joyful experience as we grappled with the problem, burned through scratch paper, asked each other to explain their thinking, and willingly explained our thinking. I don’t know how long we spent on this problem, but we got it! The crazy thing is, I don’t even know what the answer is. I don’t care what the answer is. The answer is not the important part. The important part is the process; the messy, energetic process of sense making and problem solving. At the end, when I boxed our answer, I felt a great wave of calm satisfaction. One of the other guys in the room who wasn’t working on the problem expected much more of a commotion, but I wasn’t excited, I was serene. I miss this. I don’t get this from teaching. I need to be Doing Mathematics! (or maybe statistics or computer science) In the end our triumph doesn’t actually mean much; we didn’t uncover some new piece of mathematical knowledge or win the free pizza from Pizza Hut. Hell, it was a competition for high schoolers. But that’s really not the point. It was cool and it felt good to Do Mathematics.

There is a great irony in all of this. About nine years ago, I dropped out/flunked out of a masters program in mathematics at San Diego State.  It was one of my lowest points in life. I was very depressed and unhappy. I was not doing well in the program as a result and my depression and my poor performance spiraled into one another. By November, I had stopped attending classes. I lasted a little over two months. It feels weird to even be back on this campus. I brought my Systems of Differential Equations textbook with me (one of the classes that I ended up failing) because I knew that being back on this campus would eat away at me. Right now it is sitting on the floor in the corner of the room, which is kind of what I expected, but I knew if I didn’t bring it, it would eat away at me. It feels like my redemption. Like I would be OK if I just studied some Differential Equations for two weeks in my spare time. In truth, I am living my redemption. I have a beautiful wife and daughter, to whom I am a loving husband father, respectively. We have lovely home and I have a career where I get the opportunity to impact the lives of amazing people. I still have that fucking albatross hanging around my neck, though; that little voice that says “You are a failure”, “You failed”, “You’re not as smart as you think you are”, “you blew your chance”. Man, that guy is a dick!

Anyway, thanks for the psychotherapy. There's not really a conclusion here, just an ending. Send the bill to my insurance.


Doing Mathematics is awesome! I need to do it more and I need to share it with my students.

No comments:

Post a Comment